Do you want professional photo editing software on Mac or Windows so that you can perfect your photos? Whether your a beginner or a pro, editing your photos before uploading them to your photography website is essential. In this guide, we will share the best photo editing software for photographers.
The best photo editing software can help to bring focus to an image, highlight your key subjects and transform an average picture into something truly incredible.
But the question for most photographers is how to choose the right editing software to supplement their skills.
There are countless different options out there to choose from, from better-known systems like Adobe’s Photoshop and Lightroom to simple but effective choices like Canva. There’s even some great free options, too.
SumoPaint is one of the free photography tools that you can use to make your photos look attractive. It has a plethora of basic and advanced features to offer such as changing brightness/contrast, flipping and altering the color levels.
The best part is it’s pretty much easier to use. All you have to do is just upload a picture and you are ready to edit it in any way you want.
2. Skylum Luminar
For many reasons, Luminar has quickly grown to become one of the the most popular editing tools for professional photographers around the world. For one, you pay a one time flat fee for the program. Unlike Adobe and other software companies, Skylum doesn’t have monthly subscriptions.
Luminar is a one-stop shop for photo editing that can be used by itself or as a plugin in with Lightroom, Photoshop and even Apple Photos.
Also, Luminar has gained popularity for its AI slider, which does an automatic quick fix for everything from brightening, clarifying, toning and other basic adjustments. Overall, Luminar is a strong professional grade contender to Adobe’s products.
Skylum Luminar features include:
- AI Editor/Slider
- Exclusive filters like Sunrays filter (which lets you add realistic looking sun rays to your images), top and bottom lighting filter and Orton filter (made famous by the Lord of the Rings and blurs parts of the image while focusing in on others)
- Adjustment Layers
- Image Layers
- Dedicated presets for DJI drone photos
Canva is another best and free image editing software that comes with a plethora of editing tools and features. Unlike other tools, it works perfectly on different devices like Android and iOS devices. It comes with multiple themes, icons, and cards that you can include in your photos with easy drag and drop options.
And not only this, but you can also add text and templates with different fonts and designs into your images to make them look professional and attractive.
4. Capture One
Capture One is a RAW image editor made by the camera company, Phase One. It is similar to the other software on this list, but with some solid distinctions.
With Capture One, you get:
- Interface customizability – You can change the program’s layout to your liking and even create and modify keyboard shortcuts.
- Layers – Not all editing tools have layers, and some will start lagging with too many. Capture One doesn’t exhibit this sluggishness despite offering many adjustments you can make on each layer.
- Advanced Color Editing – Much more flexibility with sliders adjusting the granularity of color changes (even for the same colors).
- Annotations – Make notes for your self or to streamline collaborations.
- Speed – When handling large volumes of pictures over 20 megapixel RAW files, Capture one has shown to operate at a much better performance than the professional heavyweight contenders in this space.
- Option to pay a one time flat fee – While there is a monthly plan, which is double the cost of Adobe Creative Cloud’s Plan, you do have the option to flat out purchase Capture One for a one time cost.
GIMP is another popular photo editing software offering multiple features and tools to help you with photo retouching, enlargement, and enhancement. Unlike other software, it also features a file manager that can be used to store files and photos.
It works perfectly on all devices and can edit photos stored in all kinds of formats. All you have to do is just upload an image and you are ready to apply different themes, filters, and effects.